Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Brainwaves 10/11/06

WayBack Wednesdays




DEBARGE

Ok when I tell ya'll that I loved me some El Debarge, please don't take that lightly, a HUGE deciding factor in the choosing of Mini-Me's Father was because he favored him, lol. I remember waiting in line for hours at Greenbriar for the autograph session. I still have his Autograph. I felt a kindered spirit seeing as we are born on the same day (Al B. Sure and Angelina Jolie are as well but I digress,lol). Fast forward to 2006 - apparently, they still have a strong following. Here is the very active Yahoogroup, and for your viewing pleasure - here is Chico's Myspace, Bunny's Myspace and MOMMA DEBARGE got a Website! Here you can see all 50+ of her Grandkids!!!!!! Well enjoy the Wednesday Wayback Moment - I sure am!


DeBarge was an American R&B and soul music group. Hailing from Grand Rapids, Michigan, the group is named for their shared surname, and included the brothers Mark, James, Randy, and Eldra (or "El"), and their sister Bunny. They signed with the Motown label in the 1970s, and became one of their few successful acts during the 1980s.

Originally known as "The DeBarges", the group issued its self-titled debut album in 1981, which was a commercial disappointment. The next year saw the release of All This Love, which was a success, reaching gold-selling status. "I Like It" and "All This Love" were the major hits from this album, with the former single reaching #1 on the US R&B charts. El DeBarge's verse from the chorus ("I like the way you comb your hair/and I like the stylish clothes you wear") became an oft-repeated line in hip hop and R&B songs during the following two decades.

1983 saw the release of In a Special Way, another gold album for DeBarge, featuring the hits "Be My Lady", "In A Special Way" (another US #1 R&B hit), "Time Will Reveal" also done by Boyz ll Men acapella in 2004, "Stay With Me" and "A Dream". The final section of "Stay With Me" later became one of the most famous samples in hip-hop and R&B, with The Notorious B.I.G. ("One More Chance [Remix]"), Mary J. Blige ("Don't Go"), and Ashanti ("Foolish") all making use of the sample for their own hit singles.

In 1985, DeBarge had its biggest hit with the Diane Warren-penned "Rhythm of the Night", the main single from both the gold Rhythm of the Night album and the Motown/Tri-Star Pictures motion picture The Last Dragon. Other hit singles from Rhythm of the Night included "Who's Holding Donna Now?" and "You Wear it Well", which he performed with the cast of The Facts of Life during a guest appearance on the show as himself.

After the release of a 1986 greatest hits LP, El DeBarge left the group for a solo career. The final DeBarge album, 1987's Bad Boys, featured Bobby and Tommy added to the lineup, but Bunny left the group the same year. DeBarge finally disbanded in 1989, though the members would continue to perform together on occasion until Bobby's death from complications resulting from AIDS in 1995







 
posted by Pamalicious at 8:23 AM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 10:56 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Aziza

    I see that I wasn't the only one crazy behind the DeBarges back then. I still have the "In A Special Way" album although it's worn out. I love the "Time Will Reveal" song and always try to hit that high note at the end that El hits flawlessly. He's like butter. Hmph!!! My favorite was James DeBarge (Janet Jackson's ex-hubby). He looked so weird back then. I don't even understand why Janet and I were attracted to him. It must have been his hairdos. *frown* Mama D got a multitude of pictures of the kids and grandkids, but I've never seen a picture of Papa DeBarge.

     
  • At 11:19 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Pamalicious

    Azziza - glad we wern't about to have to fist fight over El, lol lol. It is my understanding (and supposedly this will be discussed in Momma Debarges upcoming book) that he was abusive and alot of other stuff - so they don't mention him.

    I also understand that Bunny is going to be comeing out with a book to discuss her and her families drug use etc. etc.

    Should be interesting.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Aziza

    I'm glad that we didn't have to fight over Eldra either, because he isn't but so big. He's a skinny little thang. Some years ago, I heard something about him having a brush with the law with beating or stalking a woman he used to date. What a shame. But dang, they didn't believe in birth control. The whole family got a heap of kids.