Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Mindspace 12/12/06

Electric Avenue



DRIPPIN CHOCOLATE - GO HAVE A LICK


12/12/06 - NOT SAFE FOR WORK BUT DELICIOUS!


I was sitting around in my office last evening attempting to write a paper. I don't spend alot of time in the office as I had thought because it's upstairs and I wanna be downstairs. I cut the light on and sighed at the messy desk. I am a paper hoarder. I am third generation paper hoarder. I just can't let it go. I looked around and it dawned on me that my office and my home was probably representative of alot of homes - I had electronic overload!

I was turned on to electronics by my late husband. Him being a music producer and us living in NY, we stayed at J&R Music etc. looking at new and exciting stuff. We had the big cell phones (remember those things, might as well carry a damn yellow pages around) and I remember we were one of the first to get us a Laser Disk player (LOL - I still have a couple of those disk). We had a camcorder and it was so big, we could be mistaken for the media.

My fascination with electronics has continued to this day - leaning more towards technology and I'm wayy behind but I have my fair share. Currently in my office alone I have: (1) Desktop (2) Webcam (3) Three digital cameras (4) two digital camcorders (5) 13 inch TV (6) laser jet printer (7) 2 ink jet printers (8) 1 photo printer and (9) two laptops. I'm sure I'm forgetting something and I want to get a copier and a scanner or that combo because I have pictures I would like to burn to DVD.

On my person I carry a palm, a cell, an Ipod. CAUN has an MP3 player and cell phone he carries. We have two TV's downstairs, 2 DVD players and one VCR and a DVR. We even have a 5'inch black and white in the kitchen.

In the car we have dual portable DVD players and satellite radio

Then there is Mini-me: 1 TV, 1 MP3, 1 old MP3, 1 playstation 2, DVD player, Bratz Palm, cell phone, 2 gameboys, portable DVD player and 1 PSP.

Is this the American Way? I have heard there is a great divide and that there are still an abundance of people who don't own or have ready access to a computer. Especially in our community.

As far as I'm concerned we're at overload and now just purchase because it's available to purchase. My family wants Wii and Playstation 3's and HDTV's and LCD Screens and eventually a freaking movie room. I want a portable printer!! Will it ever end!?

We were driving along and thought this family had one hell of a bright tree in their living room - that wasn't no tree - it was the TV. It took up the entire living room!!!!

I can't remember what I did before we had all of this stuff. My daughter can't fanthom having to say write a letter to someone. use a tape recorder (we have two of those as well) and doesn't know what a roll of flim looks like.

Sometimes I get nervous. Most of my memories are now stored in my computer. what if something goes wrong and so many pictures are lost. Is this abundance of technology and electronics handicapping our kids.

So I wanna know - what do you have in your house? How much of this stuff are you accumulating? Are you addicted? If you don't have a computer in your home Why? Do you think you are out of the loop? Does that bother you?
 
posted by Pamalicious at 10:09 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 11:49 AM, December 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm a little behind. I just got my iPod nano a few weeks ago. I justified the cost to myself by saying that I would use it when I go walking in the evenings for exercise purposes. Yea right, I've yet to go on that walk. I'm wondering why I didn't get that cute new toy of mine sooner. I'm working on getting a digital camera and a laptop. I'm not totally out of things though. I've had a cell phone and computers at home for about 10 years. And out of anything, I'm hopelessly addicted to my computer. I'm practically on it all day and night. May be I can cut back when I get a life. *lol*

     
  • At 12:38 PM, December 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Pam! The big day is coming soon are you nervous? If so don't be I wish you all the luck in the world.

    In today's society they make us feel like it is necessary to have all these things we really don't need. I think most of these things are just babysitters for our children. I am even guilty of it.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, December 12, 2006, Blogger Pamalicious

    Hey Lady J - I'm starting to get shall we say antsy. and I agree about that babysitting thing. I still owe Barney mad dollars for watching Mini-me, lol lol

     
  • At 2:13 PM, December 12, 2006, Blogger NegroPino™

    Greetings....Love the new template...Congratulations too!!!!!
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. LIke i told my friend..i didnt have my own TV til i was 23. Playstation 2 til i was 23. DVD i was 24. These kids tehse days are spoiled. I have a HDTV that apparently i wasnt using for the right purposes i never knew what it was til my friend came over to program my remotes. I think its ridiculous in some households.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, December 13, 2006, Blogger Ladynay

    Cell phone I never use, playstation that I use for exercise and laptop! That's all I got and I am good with that! LOL