Friday, March 16, 2007
Green Mindspace 3/16/07

Corn Beef and Cabbage Anyone?




I was watching one of the morning shows at the dentist this morning and these little kids were just a riverdancing away. Then I watched as the sista from "Law and Order SVU" got her nails painted green before coming out for her interview. As I sat there I got to thinking that I am such a person without a country. What I mean by that is that African Americans are just default of any culture! African is our Heritage in my opinion but it is not our culture - as evidenced by we don't celebrate anything that they really have going on either. I can ask 6 folks right now and they couldn't name 6 African specific pieces of culture or holidays or birth rights or anything. Technically the only 'culture' we can call our own is (GASP) the Hip Hop Culture! The only holiday we have is...Kwanzaa - which is why whether you believe in it or not - it is very valid and needs to be here. Oh and we have an 'anthem' that none of us can half way remember.."Lift Every Voice and Sing"

Where's my flag? Where is my colors? Hell the Gay community got a flag! What exactly relevant to the African American dispora do I have? Africans don't want us, Island people ain't hardly trying to claim us, We are for the most part Chameleon Bastards up in this piece. We morph into everything and this weekend we will become IRISH?! Lawd Have Mercy!

I think this is the way in which our leaders did us the most injustice. From slavery forth, we have not carved out anything significant for ourselves to pass on to our children but notions of a land most of us will never see, Heck we are more aligned with the Korean, lol lol

I get jealous when I see costumes, parades, foods, songs etc. etc. of other cultures. DAMN YOU MASTER (fill in the blank)!

What the fuck!? My national bird is the CHICKEN! My dance revolves around a stripper pole, my costume is either booty shorts or a t-shirt 6 sizes too big, my official song is "I need a Bad Bitch"! My official language is slang? My boys 'manhood' ceremony is JAIL! My Baby's familial bond is found out on MAURY!

Am I American? By default yes, and the argument can be made that this right here is MINE - it was built by my people on their hands and knees, but I want something like everybody else.......I want more than Black History Month, if there was ever anything I want to be assimiliated on, that would be the excitement around my people. I just think about how today most folks just don't 'see' it - they don't want to talk about it and they certainly don't want to let it be known that they have feelings about it - afterall it's 2007 and we equal and we got shit and we can go anywhere and do anything and we do have culture....yea right. We have INVENTORS, CIVIL RIGHTS LEADERS, POST SLAVERY MILES STONES, FAMOUS PEOPLE, ATHLETES, ENTERTAINERS, FIRSTS....

Well let me go put my cornbeef and cabbage on.....I do love me some corn beef.
 
posted by Pamalicious at 12:41 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 3:14 AM, March 19, 2007, Blogger NeenaLove

    that was a WONDERFUL post.

    my husband talks about this incessantly. while i have my Hawaiian and Samoan culture to identify myself with -- he feels left BEHIND because his African culture was stripped from his ancestors.

    i couldn't begin to understand how that feels and i'm not sure if he's comfortable assimilating into my culture -- though he's taken to it very nicely. LOL...

    in any case -- your family is your heritage. that's what i've found. the way i practice my culture is influenced by my family. they help DEFINE who i am.

    hugz,
    neena

    p.s. i've been reading your blog for awhile and thoroughly enjoy it. sorry that this is the first time i've commented. LOL....

     
  • At 5:04 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger jennifer

    Its being so nice since I have started visiting your site. This time I have started something of my own. We just introduced Kincafe- www.kincafe.com. This is for families to come together. I would like you for review of the service and provide feedback to andy@kincafe.com.